Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Madagascar
I've already written a lot, but I figured I needed to say something about Madagascar, seeing as I'm here. The people are incredibly friendly and polite, though they do try to extort money from tourists (I've succumbed to that one a few times. It's hard not to when I don't speak french). I walked through a very poor neighborhood as the sun was setting in Tana yesterday, not sure the way to my hotel, and it suddenly dawned on me that I should probably be scared. The truth is, I wasn't. I got a few sideways looks (it's hard not to when you have the wrong color skin and the longest hair of any guy on the block) but never felt threatened at all. The quintesential moment, I think, and one that I will hopefully never forget was as I was walking down steep, narrow stairs from the Rova (pronounced Roova) at the highest point in the city. A little boy, no more than 8 years old, was coming up the stairs and I stepped asside. As he passed me with head bowed I barely heard him murmer "bonjour monsieur." I don't really know why, it sounds simple now, but it was really touching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment